livecd memory requirements

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Fri Apr 13 18:42:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:07 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> The dapper image seems fully functional with 128mb of ram when running
> on qemu (with 128mb ram explicitly set).... I will be testing the
> feisty image later on in the day when I get a chance... just thought I
> would report in.

I think it would be important to test also whether installing
from the live-cd succeeds and whether the installed system boots...

FYI: I recently tried installing Kubuntu Dapper to a 333Mhz laptop
with 96MB of RAM and 192MB of swap = 288MB virtual memory.
Kubuntu live-CD booted (very slowly) without any visible problems
except for two warning dialogs about protocols that couldn't
be started (although almost all of swap was unused).

Installation took a long time and reported success except for
system update which couldn't be done due to there being no network
available[1] (where I did the install).  However, the installed system
didn't boot.  When I checked with a rescue CD what had happened,
there was e.g. empty /etc/fstab (adding some valid content didn't
help, the bootup process still complained about not finding "volume
groups").

[1] If the installation doesn't work succesfully without network,
    that should be mentioned in the installation requirements!

I'll try installing Xubuntu herd from live-cd to that laptop now.
:-)

	- Eero