- some problems where i can use some help with -

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 07:42:36 UTC 2006

Hi

Can i use this place as the correct place to be for bugs or
> feature request, or can you point me a another address.

This is a good place to raise issues such as yours which are not clear bug
reports
but you could have just sent the 11th point today as the others arrived
yesterday as well ;)

1---------------
> If I create a symbolic link for the desktop.
> like this: ln -s /mnt/hda3/desktop/ /home/jelle/Desktop

xfdesktop has a lot of corner cases when handling desktop icons.
Creating or moving the ~/Desktop folder is definitely one of them and not a
common operation. It's a bug, even if a minor one.

2---------------
> I use the mail watcher panel item with a imap client. If I get a new
> mail it will change the icon. And if I click the icon it will start

I agree that it's pretty unintuitive but the upstream author feels it's the
right thing to do. I think we'll change this though for edgy as I prefer
the behaviour you describe and other people have said the same.

> 7--------------
> when playing a movie in xfmedia. the screen goes black (screenserver)
> after a
> while. I have to move the mouse or press a button to get the screen back
> how do i fix this? without disabling the screenserver of use the
> keyboard of mouse everytime.

I think gxine has this issue too. Xfmedia will be replaced for edgy so we
need to see how to fix this issue for gxine.

9-------------
> If i create a xfce launcher for on the desktop or some were else.
> I can't use this in the commandline:
> ~/scripts/xkill.sh

The launchers conform to the Desktop Entry Specification which says
" The executable program can either be specified with its full path or with
the name of the executable only"

http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html

10-----------
> The panel items like the volume control and the system load monitor and
> network monitor and battery monitor contain very nice bars. But  they do
> not have all the same height of spacing between them. This isn't a
> pretty side. It would be nice if they make them all the same with the
> same spacings between them ectzetra
> ------------

yes, known problem that the various panel plugins do not  obey a common
policy (there is none)
regarding look and feel. Hopefully this is slowly getting fixed upstream as
4.4 approaches.

> When i play a dvd movie with menu in xfmedia. It will hang a will when
> pressed a button in the menu to go to another part of the menu. (i think
> it will wait until the menu part is played and starts over again. if it
> starts again at the beginning the buttons will be active again.

gxine will do better.

I did not answer the questions that do not pertain to xfce/xubuntu, someone
else may

Jani