- some problems where i can use some help with -

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Wed Sep 6 07:15:39 UTC 2006

Fellow xubuntu-ers,

Can i use this place as the correct place to be for bugs or
feature request, or can you point me a another address.

I now the best way is directly to the developer. But it takes a lot
of time to find them if you have lot of small things.

Please don't get me wrong I love xubuntu and I am a fanatic
distributor/installer of ubuntu and xbuntu.

I will post a few here of my problems here, i hope someone can help me.

1---------------
If I create a symbolic link for the desktop.
like this: ln -s /mnt/hda3/desktop/ /home/jelle/Desktop
Then the desktop will not automatic adjust to its contains anymore. If
you download a file to the desktop it will not be shown. But you have to
let xfce re manage the desktop. (select and deselect the checkbox in the
desktop preferences). Also If you add a script to the custom action in
thunar. It will also not be affective on the desktop until remanaging
the desktop.
----------------

2---------------
I use the mail watcher panel item with a imap client. If I get a new
mail it will change the icon. And if I click the icon it will start
thunderbird and get the new emails. But the panel icon will still tell
you that you have new mail. until the next check it will make. (this can
me 15minutes between) Can't there be a checkbox in the properties
dialogue that is will enable a function that clear the state to normal
if the email program is loaded. (icon pressed)
---------------

3--------------
I have gaim automatic started with xfce but it will not start minimised
but will show itself and must be pressed away everytime. How do I start
gaim minimized? also if you are away for a will or set you status to
away. It will show a dialogue that you are away. Can't this dialogue be
removed and just press  a option in the normal gaim menu.
---------------

4--------------
if you copy something to the passed buffer and close the program were you
got the information from. The buffer will be empty again. (I have to use
clipboard manager to get the information back in the passed buffer)
How do I prevent the passed buffer to be cleared if I close a application?
---------------

5--------------
How do I create udev rule for ps/2 mouse because I can't get a mouse
driver working with a plain event only mice or mouse events will work.
If I use a kvm switch it will lose the mouse when switching back. I have
to use the command: sudo rmmod psmouse; gksudo modprobe psmouse to get
it back. I tested with udev rules but this only work with plain events.
I cant get a ps/2 mouse working on plain events in xorg. It has to use a
mice or mouse event or usb. how do I fix this with ps/2 mouses.
---------------

6--------------
How do i get the current network speeds from the commandline?
---------------

7--------------
when playing a movie in xfmedia. the screen goes black (screenserver)
after a
while. I have to move the mouse or press a button to get the screen back
how do i fix this? without disabling the screenserver of use the
keyboard of mouse everytime.

8-------------
how do I set a program to use a maximum of 50% cpu power if possible.
(it will be a innovative feature)
--------------

9-------------
If i create a xfce launcher for on the desktop or some were else.
I can't use this in the commandline:
~/scripts/xkill.sh
but i have to use this
/home/jelle/scripts/xkill.sh
or this
xterm -e ~/scripts/xkill.sh
It is not using the "~" correct, can this be fixed?
-------------

10-----------
The panel items like the volume control and the system load monitor and
network monitor and battery monitor contain very nice bars. But  they do
not have all the same height of spacing between them. This isn't a
pretty side. It would be nice if they make them all the same with the
same spacings between them ectzetra

When i play a dvd movie with menu in xfmedia. It will hang a will when
pressed a button in the menu to go to another part of the menu. (i think
it will wait until the menu part is played and starts over again. if it
starts again at the beginning the buttons will be active again.

11 points for today, please help me out if you can.

Best regards,

Jelle de Jong