Fwd: New version of xfld - Xfce live demo

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 18:56:17 UTC 2006

On 10/30/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Wow! That's quite big. Before Xubuntu, if someone wanted an Xfce livecd,
> > I used to suggest Xfld. I think it's great news that they are now based
> > on Xubuntu. Perhaps this warrants a news story entry on the website?
> >

> Yes I think it should go on the site.

OK, here it is: http://xubuntu.org/news/xfld

Adam, I propose we stick to linking to three news items at a time in the
news section of the links? So the next item would push the website
announcement off the list.

Oliver (one of the Xfld devs who mailed me about this)

corrected me saying that it's only a liveCD. I did not try it myself so
> don't know about this.
> It is possible they do not ship ubiquity at all with their package
> selection being different.
> As for being based on Xubuntu/Ubuntu it is a bit ambiguous as they use the
> xfce packages
> I assume but not all the apps which also make up xubuntu. So the correct
> thing to say is they
> are based on  Ubuntu (repositories) and use some Xubuntu packages, like
> Mepis I think which is
> KDE but not Kubuntu.
> Anyway the mail I forwarded says xubuntu and their site ubuntu.
>
> Jani

Vincent