no more icons

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 14:51:16 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Ronnie Whisler <mrwislr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did any of these "developers"  try using the trashcan panel   when the
> panel has autohide enabled?  My guess is they did not.... why?  Because
> it doesnt' work.... Rendering the trashcan unusable..... Also why is
> this clean desktop sooooo important.... there are many many many
> individuals out there using linux/xubuntu because a friend set it up
> for them on their old computers..... THESE PEOPLE NEED THOSE ICONS.....
> but as always the linux developers don't think about that.... then they
> write articles yelling about how linux isn't gaining wider
> acceptance.....  AND I simply love how this decision was made
> immediately before the last release..... when everything is frozen...
> if this clean desktop was so important why didn't you remove them a lot
> earlier......  friggin sneaky and actually really really dumb..... your
> trashcan panel doesn't work in most situations guys soooo thanks for
> disabling a cool new feature for the rest of us... GIVE US A CHOICE  OR
> AT LEAST SOME FRIGGIN TIME TO DISCUSS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not forget that Xubuntu has been put together with a lot of
voluntary work. Unfortunately there still are not many users who tested
Xubuntu before it was released, so receiving feedback was difficult.

Bugs exist, and they will always do so. Why don't you point the developers
of Xfce nicely at this bug and hopefully they will have the time and mood to
solve it.

Surely your input is heard, and will be taken into account for the Feisty
Fawn release.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:11:43 +0300
> "Jani Monoses" <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/25/06, Adam Miller <maxamillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I agree, i think they were a good addition for the majority. I
> > > don't tend to use them, but I have heard more people speak praise
> > > of the icons than those who spoke harshly of them. I am not a core
> > > dev and don't make the decision, but my vote is to put them back.
> > >

> > Guys if you hardly use them let those who would use them complain ;)
> > Actually I did not like them and I heard one mail against them on this
> > list and one on upstream Xfce both asking how to remove them.
> > Whereas durng dapper I heard noone asking for them so I concluded that
> > they are not that useful after all.
> >
> > As for decisions I agree I did not ask only because it was one day
> > before total freeze. But otherwise users should decide not core devs
> > and indeed I based my decision on two users' complaints and my opinion
> > as I am a user too :)
> > And it was in line with ubuntu's clean desktop with only removable
> > media popping up.
> >
> > Items can be dragged on the trashcan on the panel or simply deleted
> > via Del and they go there.Clicking on the panel icon opens thunar on
> > it etc. , the functionality is all there.
> >
> > Sorry if I misjudged and it turns out more people liked those icons
> > than those who prefer a clean (or at least cleanable) desktop, please
> > speak up and it will be remedied by edgy+1. But by that time I hope
> > upstream will make this configurable at least.
> >
> > Jani

Vincent