xubuntu 6.06 to xubuntu 6.10 what happend!

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:34:33 UTC 2006

I take it you mean apt-get dist-upgrade, as you multiple times said
disk-upgrade (k instead of t).

Also, as for the website:

   - *NOTICE:* There have been some issues with
upgrading<https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/68027>to
Xubuntu
   6.10 from Xubuntu 6.06.
   Please review available documentation below before attempting an
   upgrade.

And

Click here for instructions.<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades#head-11721ced054eda7fabc2bb5bce3bbd447d170dac>
*At the moment, it is not recommend to use this method, as there seem to be
problems<https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/68027>with
it.
*

*The method of apt-get
dist-upgrade<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades#head-0ee455b2d02f220b043c084f09dffb86c1c6bd79>is
still safe for those who are familiar with it, the issue is only with
the
update-manager. Please note that you do not need ubuntu-desktop, but
xubuntu-desktop.*
That does not look like saying it is safe to upgrade to me.

On 11/8/06, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought to day was a good day to migrate form dapper to edgy, because
> the nice updates in edgy are not available for dapper. And I wanted to
> do some debugging for edgy.
>
> I am a pretty advanced user of linux and have a lot of program's and
> scripts installed.
>
> I first tried edgy on my vmware system and it did work. so i give it a
> try. I made a dd image for backup if things went wrong.
>
> I want to command line mode so i killed gdm en x
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> sudo apt-get disk-upgrade
>
> Then I configured the apt-get sources for edgy.
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get disk-upgrade
>
> Here we went. Downloaded a lot of stuff > 1GB and started installing
>
> I noticed that I recieved a lot of errors of these:
> "perl: warning please check local settings"
> I think this had to do with the fact that te program that sets the local
> settings was not run yet. later when the this program was run the
> warnings disappear. So someone could fix this "bug" by first setting
> local language settings for upgrading.
>
> Then it happens the apt-get gives a error and quits
>
> the error was in this package:
> anjunta-2.0.2-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
>
> when I retried sudo apt-get disk-upgrade it advised me to run apt-get -f
> install so I did and it when on. after that i did a apt-get disk-upgrade
> again and it when further.
>
> I got a warnings that there is something wrong with font gs.defoma line
> 108. someone could check that.
>

> When apt-get tried to restart mysql after upgrading something it hangs i
> waited 15 minutes and tryied some key combinations but the pc was dead.
>
> I restarted the pc and the default kernel was broken and did not start.
>
> I tried another kernel and got it to run single mode with lot of errors.
> I restarted the apt-get disk-upgrade command
>
> I got a error again and apt-get exits it was a error in the
> gtk-engines-eazel.
>
> I concluded that this was not working. and wanted to restore my backup
>
> so i tried a dd to restore my image (dd image is stored on another
> partion) but after a while the system was hanging again and I had to
> restart.
>
> Now grub was totally down it gives me a error 16 code and does nothing.
>
> I had not get burned a xubuntu 6.10 cd for a total clean install so i
> had to go to another pc and burn a alternate disk.
>
> When I tried to load the kernel on the 6.10 alternate cd I got error:
> apci kernel panic - not syncing.
>
> I can remember this is the same error I got when I tried the a self
> compiled kernel, the newest from kernel.org. There is a bug somewhere
> with the new kernels and the via epia en12000 hardware.
>
> I did not get tried to start the kernel with options like pci=noacpi and
> acpi=off. I will do that another time.
>
> So far edgy experiences are very bad. Could some one please remove the
> [...]

Vincent