more than 128 M needed for liveCD

panshizhu at routon.com panshizhu at routon.com
Tue Nov 7 06:56:22 UTC 2006

xubuntu-devel-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com 写于 2006-11-07 01:09:04:
> Unfortunatley we have a bad regression since dapper. The liveCD will
> not function properly
> with 128M of RAM and no swap. This I only noticed in qemu and
> wrongly assumed (hoped) it's
> specific to it, but we get bugreports confirming it on real machines.
> This sadly makes xubuntu lose one of its selling points :( I have no
> idea what causes the extra memory
> use, it may be system-tools-backend which use perl, but I don't knowfor
sure.

> Jani--

To be honest, I don't think that 'low memory consumption' could be a
selling point of xubuntu in the long run.

The "really low memory consumption" Linux is Damn-Small Linux (a.k.a. DSL),
which requires 64M memory, the live cd is less than 200M and it uses debian
package system. if you tried it you'll be amazed how complete it is. I have
to admit that future Linux for computers with 128M should be DSL.

The "Xfce-based ubuntu", in my opinion is the most beautiful ubuntu, it has
the selling point of "elegant design" and "elegant feel". As an OS should
be feature rich, I would not choose an elegant OS if it lacks certain
functionality.

So, please, add the useful functionalities to Xubuntu and be glad with it.

[]
Some story just like this: suppose two guys Tom and Mike have two different
company, both are making cars that sells $1000.
Tom's thinking how to makes cars that sells $800 or even less.
However, Mike's thinking he should make cars that sell $2000+.
Several years later, Mike has a big company and be a sucessful man, while
Tom has a poor end...
[]

Lessons for that: if Xubuntu always tries to be a "low-memory-consumption"
alternative to ubuntu, it will always be an alternative, always be the
second choice.  But why not replace the "gnome-based" ubuntu at all? why
not make xubuntu the default choice for some users?  It is much more
important to make xubuntu "beautiful ui and elegant design" than to keep it
small.

Of course, that's just my 2 cents.
--
Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606