more than 128 M needed for liveCD

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Mon Nov 6 20:49:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Monday 06 November 2006 19:25, Cody Somerville wrote:
> I'm getting a copy of the live cd this weekend (I don't have a burner of
> my own yet) and so I'll play around with it to see if I can identify some
> memory hogs.

Could you mail to the list the output of following command:
--------------------------------
echo "size:,rss:,share:,code:,data:,lib:,dirty:,PID:,name:";
for i in /proc/[0-9]*; do
  echo $(tr ' ' ',' < $i/statm),${i##*/},$(tr '\0' ' ' < $i/cmdline);
done|grep -v 0,0,0,0,0,0,0|sort -nr

Basically it reads the /proc/PID/statm memory stats for all processes
and outputs them (with process PID and command line) in CSV format
one can view in spreadsheet.

Like "top" this is very inaccurate because it doesn't tell how much of the
memory is private to the process (like much harder to parse /proc/PID/smaps
data would), but it's good enough for rough analysis.

	- Eero