Xubuntuguide.org

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 20:32:24 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, Luzius Thoeny <lucius.antonius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brian Lawson wrote:
> > After reading some responses, I wanted to clarify what I envisioned
> xubuntuguide.org to be.  I hope for it to be very much like
> ubuntuguide.org.  If you haven't checked it out, go there and scroll
> through it a bit…it will help give some context to this question.
> >
> > It is very much an "unofficial" Ubuntu site, which is why I hesitate to
> attach it to the official (and Canonical-supported) site.  For example,
> ubuntuguide.org contains instructions for adding repositories that contain
> unsupported, non-free, or possibly illegal packages.  While extremely
> useful, I don't know that the official site would want to be responsible for
> this content.
> >
> > But on the other hand, I don't want to dilute or fracture any momentum
> the Xubuntu project has going…I want to respect the wishes of the main team,
> contributors, and users.
> >
> > -Brian
> >

> Hi Brian (& others),
>
> First off, thanks for offering the domain and the hosting!
>
> I personally like  ubuntuguide.org and its style a lot. the thought of
> coming up with something similar for Xubuntu seems like an excellent
> idea. A few thoughts:
>
> - We should keep an eye on what's going on with ubuntuguide.org, because
> the current owner seems to consider moving the content to official
> ubuntu documentation. see this thread:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2006-November/007304.html .
> To me, it looks like that won't happen, because of the recommendation of
> automatix and other non-official stuff which won't be accepted in the
> official help.
>
> - How will this xubuntuguide.org relate to the current desktop guide? is
> it a good idea to "clone" all the information, risking of having to
> constantly fix & update in both? i guess we can look at it this way: the
> desktop guide is more of a 'starter' for people wanting to get to know
> Xubuntu, while the xubuntuguide.org gives the quick&dirty 'hands-on'
> recipe for people who are looking for a specific answer.
>
> - Do we keep it strictly to Xubuntu-related stuff or also other? first
> has the problem that users will not find what they need (they may not
> know if their question is xubuntu-specific), and the second has the
> problem of "cloning" lots of content, leading to maintenance head-aches.
>
> - Please note also that there's something similar for ubuntu here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
>
> - While I don't have anything against MediaWiki, I think it's definitely
> not the best looking wiki out there... I personally liked the old
> look&feel of ubuntuguide.org a lot better that it had before it was
> using MediaWiki.
>

> luzi

I think it can live along the Xubuntu Desktop Guide very nicely. As you
said, the DG is introducing the basics (and I do think it does a very good
job) and the Xubuntuguide can help with tweaking. The Xubuntu.org site is
searched a lot for e.g. Beryl/Compiz and XGL/AIGLX and things like that. On
the other hand, there also are some idiots that like to search for sex or
porno ;)

--
Vincent