Luzi Thoeny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Sat May 20 06:29:32 UTC 2006

norman nicholls wrote:
> Hi Lizi

Hi Norman,

>  I am not sure if I am the type of person that Xubuntu is targeting. I am a 66 year old carpenter that has been trying to use linux for the last 4 years.

Of course (X)ubuntu targets everyone and anyone - that of course
includes carpenters and all others of any age. I happen to be a
linguist, and I can confidently tell you that Xubuntu works quite well
for me.

>  Printing  must be realy simple. Mandrake/Mandriva have got this down pat since mandrake 8.  Ubuntu, suse, fedora all are to hard for me to work out quickly.
>
>  Internet dialup conetion mandriva is the easyest. Ubuntu, suse, fedora take to many steps.
>
>  Saving to cd or floppy is hard on all distro,s. microsoft just seams to have worked this on out.
>
>  Total user frindlyness of all of the above is a must if Xubunto is to make its mark on the desktop of people like me.
>
>  I use a P3 with mandriva 2006. For all of mandriva's faults of which there are many I still use it because of printing. Easy Printing and Printer set up is a Must

I agree with you that Xubuntu could  still be improved in the areas of
Printing and Dial-Up. Both of these tasks or not as easy as they could
be at the moment. However, I'm not really the person to take care of
theses issues. That's why I'm sending this reply to the Xubuntu Mailing
List as well as to you, so that the developers will acknowledge it. We
all hope that some progress can be made on these points for the next
release of Xubuntu.

Saving to floppies is pretty easy, as far as I know. Just use the File
Manager and drag the files over. Saving to CDs is more difficult, since
you need to use a CD burning application, but there's just no other way
at the moment. Maybe someday the Filemanager will include this
functionality.

>  I will continue to use linux. But hope that in the not to distant future there will be a small foot print linux that is easy to use.
>

>  Regards  Norman Nicholls

Thanks for your feedback!

~Luzi