how to change brown ubuntu screen on startup

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at
Mon May 8 07:36:30 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, mark. a. brand <mark.a.brand at> wrote:
> hi:
> when x starts, i get the brown ubuntu startup screen, but when i shutdown
> or restart i get the blue xubuntu shutdown / restart screen.  what do i need
> to change to get the blue xubuntu screen on startup.

$sudo  update-alternatives --config

to select the deafult from the provided usplashes

$sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
to put that selected image in the initramfs which is read by the kernel on

This is not as simple as dropping a png in a directory as all this happens
very early in the boot process
and the image needs to be there before the root partition is mounted.

i am using dapper 6.06. which brings me to another question, how do tell
> which version of xubuntu i am using when reporting stuff to the list?

cat /etc/issue is the simplest I know.