Minimum requirements..

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Fri May 5 19:19:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Friday 05 May 2006 21:17, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > I'm currently running icewm instead of xfce.  Could you mail the result
> > of "top -b -n 1" for your system so that we could discuss on the list
> > what is actually hogging the memory in Xubuntu... :-)

Could you mail the list of processes?  I've done quite a bit of memory
profiling and optimization and I think it can be done also remotely.
It could be educational for the other people on the list. :-)

(Next steps would be using pmap and possibly Massif.)

> Making a setup like you describe work 'as out of the box as possible'
> would be a very good project for Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10)

The P166 Ubuntu box from which I've been talking is 3 hour drive from here,
and my machines at home have currently SUSE, so I cannot do that, but I'll
be happy to be of help with it!

(I got the P166 for free, installed Ubuntu to it as an experiment after X in
FreeBSD kept crashing and then gave the box to my parents who had earlier
even less capable machine (which they didn't use.))

> Besides the 'easy' parts of making an icewm based package selection, the
> lack of gdm and other hacks which currently don't fit well with a standard
> ubuntu install need to be given some tought.

I think the gdm should be separated from xubuntu-desktop, then you
could have "session" configuration option where one could select whether
to use:
- multiuser setup with display manager
  -> installs gdm package
- start X and WM directly at bootup for a specific user
  -> installs "single X user with automatic login" package

The latter would do following:
- Ask for which user the X "session" is started and save the user name
  to some file from where the WM startup script in init.d will pick it up.
  Because this affects startup, it should be verified that the given string
  is a valid and existing user name
- Linking the WM startup script to runlevel 5
- Enabling line in /etc/inittab which starts X server automatically for
  runlevel 5
- enabling line in /etc/sudoes which allows local users to run
  "sudo /sbin/halt"

I think the default /etc/inittab and /etc/sudoers files could contain the
necessary lines commented out.

	- Eero