Adding printers vs Xubuntu philosphy

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Fri May 5 18:30:01 UTC 2006

> Hm.  Doesn't seem to be significantly more than with any other gnome
> program.

Indeed, it's the whole gnome stack  more or less, as with other gnome apps.

Why you're avoiding Gnome dependencies?

As you point out below to save startup time and RAM. Even a few megs can
make the difference
between your app fitting or starting to cause disk thrashing because of
swapping.
Even if these are not a drastic savings given that the rest of the system
including gtk is already quite resource hungry
they are still savings.

I tested some gnome programs (e.g. epiphany and dia)
> on P166 with 96MB of RAM and:
> - Epiphany didn't use more memory than Firefox (considering that
>   more of it's libs are shared with the other Gtk programs)
> - Dia which has gnome deps, worked quite OK

Right, firefox is a large cpu/ram hog.

Gnome deps don't affect particularly the performance of the program,
> when compared to plain Gtk version, except slightly for the startup speed.

right.

Memory usage is increased (besides additional deps, they have more features,
> such as printing), but if you compare their memory usage e.g. to running

printing is actually provided by libgomeprint which we use as well since it
does not depend
on anything else.

Firefox, I don't see (m)any of them using more memory.  I.e. user can still
> run the programs and they are responsive, if he just doesn't run too many
> of them at the same time.
>
> Because there are additional libraries, more space is used from the
> ISO-image/CD/harddrive, but as libraries are shared, it's only one-time
> increase of (tens of) megs(?).

even if libraries are mostly shared,  there is some  data which is not
shared, so
every app started adds up to the memory usage because of data in the
library.
Look at recent discussions on the gnome-performance list.

What *can* be a problem is that if the applications require other processes
> to run at the same time (gconf, gnome-vfs etc) *and* those processes don't
> quit when last client accessing them quits.  I.e. the system is constantly
> using more memory than "required".

right, that's why I try avoiding gconf, which again is not too big but
considering it is
mostly useless outside gnome, it is too bug for what it offers in our case.

The main issue I had with both Gtk and Gnome programs was that their
> menus (+submenus) were pretty slow to open and close (on
> P166...).  Dialogs
> were also slow to open, but they are used less often than menus, so it
> wasn't annoying.

indeed, the gtk engines and drawing methods for icons and text can be quite
time consuming.

Jani