Adding printers vs Xubuntu philosphy

Luzi Thoeny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Fri May 5 16:32:21 UTC 2006

Joe Braddock wrote:
> I know that Xubuntu is striving to keep itself Gnome free.  And I
> respect and appreciate that.  However I would like to offer the
> suggestion of using the Ubuntu printing tools to add/remove printers to
> Xubuntu.  Even though it would mean having something with Gnome
> dependencies I think that the when faced with not being able to offer a
> core function (easy printing configuration) we should err on having the
> Gnome dependencies (with the goal being to move to eventually
> eliminating them).
>
> Joe Braddock

i see your point, but gnome-cups-manager has *really* a lot of dependencies:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/gnome/gnome-cups-manager

btw, the desktop guide already includes information on how to enable the
cups web-admin (which is pretty easy to use IMHO), and there's also a
note that you can install gnome-cups-manager if you want, including a
warning about bloating your system.

~luzi