Xubuntu way to add printer? (was Feedback & Suggestions)

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed May 3 14:03:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:08:29PM +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:

> >So the root of th issue is clearer now in terms of what must be changed so
> >that the initial use of cups by masses is easy. If we edited cupsd.conf to
> >remove the prompts for passwords all together but left the access to
> >localhost only - that would side step the security issue and still leave
> >all the functions as they are via the web interface.
>

> This has been discussed recently on ubuntu-devel. I think the decision
> remained that
> by default the web interface of CUPS is disabled entirely, not just for
> non-root. This is
> an ubuntu wide decision we will not (cannot) change it for xubuntu even if
> we don't have
> a printer gui.
> But getting around that as you documented is a solution.

would it be possible to include some simple script that added the
relevant bits to cupsd.conf?  I would like to hand out xubuntu disks
to my students but simply can't if the printer interfaces only work
after manual intervention.  It would be a shame as they're using
outdated hardware & xfce is a great desktop.

Thanks,
matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094