Xubuntu way to add printer? (was Feedback & Suggestions)

Kam Salisbury kam at salisburyfamily.us
Wed May 3 09:47:56 UTC 2006

I did some initial testing on this last evening and found that gksudo
works fine for the initial access to the cups admin pages. 'gksudo
firefox' yielded a password prompt from sudo and then I could access the
admin pages. When trying to setup a new printer however, the final step of
applying the new configuration was halted by a web browser password prompt
which wanted the administrator username and password or the password for
CUPS.

So the root of th issue is clearer now in terms of what must be changed so
that the initial use of cups by masses is easy. If we edited cupsd.conf to
remove the prompts for passwords all together but left the access to
localhost only - that would side step the security issue and still leave
all the functions as they are via the web interface.

--
Kam Salisbury
http://salisburyfamily.us