Why does Xubuntu desktop look like GNOME?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:48:30 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Foxy <foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk> wrote:
>  Especially for many of those
> who have used Windows for ages and sometimes forget that in Linux the
> layout is usually very flexible.

Windows, Mac OS X, XFCE, GNOME, KDE, etc. -- they ALL have SOME level
of customization available. Under Windows it's very easy to move the
task bar & start button to a different edge of the screen. Under Mac
OS X the dock can be moved to the left, right or bottom, and the size
can be changed. Not to mention third-party utilities for any of these
that can change the experience totally.

Those of us who have used different desktops over the years often move
the elements around to either be the same as what we're used to, or be
very different (as a reminder that we're using different controls).
Personally I like to stick as close as I can to the "stock" software
but the controls on a different edge of the screen are fair game.

I agree that it would be nice to have an option to "try out" the
standard XFCE layout, plus maybe include an option to easily revert to
the default Xubuntu experience. Of course, in the short term maybe it
would suffice to include a couple of sentences in the documentation
saying which directories and files contain the settings and include a
short procedure showing how to try out the different "stock" layout
options.