Why does Xubuntu desktop look like GNOME?

Foxy foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk
Tue May 2 09:01:33 UTC 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:

>     >
>     I cannot say that I am disappointed but I would agree with those who
>     pointed out that XFCE had its own distinctive layout and there is no
>     reason to make it look like Gnome. Frankly speaking there are
>     other ways
>     to make a light desktop anyway. I have screwed up my xfce4 config
>     recently and after removing .config directory I had to spent some time
>     reverting Xubuntu layout to familiar XFCE look.
>

> With all respect for those who prefer the original xfce layout, the
> current one is going
> to be final since it is simpler. Those needing a specific layout can
> easily make it happen.
> So the thread can continue as far as I am concerned but will not
> change this decision :)
>
> Jani
yes, I agree that it would be wise to change the layout now and I guess
those who prefer the original layout (like myself) missed the
opportunity to discuss it earlier. Though I am not sure that the current
layout is simpler.  It may be more familiar  for  Ubuntu users though
and simper for them to use...