Translations (i18) incomplete

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:51:21 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, juha <kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi> wrote:

> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
> > On 5/1/06, *juha* <kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
> > <mailto:kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi !
> >
> >     I just tried xubuntu beta-2 and I noticed that i18 support was not
> >     very
> >     complete.
> >     Most texts were in english even though I changed language to
> Finnish.
> >     Some were
> >     in Fi, so I think the setup works. Is that a known beta "feature"
> >     or a bug?
> >

> > a bug I assume.
> >
> >     Menu was translated, but for example settings window was in english.
> >     (and I know those translations do exist in xfce)
> >

> > So is xfce compiled from svn trunk translated? If so can you point out
> > specific packages which
> > are translated upstream but do not seem to be in ubuntu?
> > This is an area we need more feedback in all languages. Preferably
> > comparisons with the state in
> > xfce upstream so in case the packaging or the installation has some
> > faults we know. If upstream
> > translations are lacking they probably need som help.
> >

> > thanks
> > Jani
>
> Yes, Xfce from svn is almost fully translated.
> At least the following packages I see in finnish from svn
> , but are in english in xubuntu:
> 1) orage (except orageclock plugin)
> 2) xfwm4 (settings are visible)
> 3) xfsession (again settings)
> 4) xfce panel
> 5) theme preferences
> 6) window manager tweaks (settings again)
> 7) work spaces and margins setting

Ah I think I know why this happens, if command line is also untranslated for
you (tar, sed, apt). Try installing language-pack-fi-base and see if things
improve.
Since xfce packages moved to main their translations are stripped at build
time and put in the base language packs,
where translations for the rest of the system is.  So for every locale the
specific language pack needs to be installed
to get the translations. This means they can be worked on even after dapper
release and get updated from rosetta
translations without uploading the specific xfce packages themselves.

Jani