[SOLVED]Almost there...

Harold Johnson harold.johnson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 03:34:30 UTC 2006

So I've completed the install (after having to run a 'sudo apt-get update'
command and then the 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' again), and then
rebooted my system (for good measure), then logged myself in and ran a 'sudo
xserver' command, which didn't.  So then I ran the command 'sudo
startxfce4'; the system booted -- great.  But not without the problem I've
seen oh-so-often: the multiple screen.  This time, the displayed is
duplicated only once, one stretched-out desktop image on top of the other.

Does anyone know what I need to do to set this right?  I recall a particular
string added to my miboot/xboot settings; the one I've used in the past (for
my CLI-only Ubuntu install) doesn't work for Xubuntu.  (That was the string
I found on the Ubuntu Breezy OldWorld Macs wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/OldWorldMacs

That is,

 video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:8,mclk:71

a string which -- again -- works great for keeping my CLI Ubuntu in order,
but simply turns my GUI (Xubuntu) into a blank screen (after running the
command 'sudo startxfce4').

Any ideas?  Thanks for your help,

Harold