initial edgy plans

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Jun 27 02:09:12 BST 2006

daniele favara <danjele at gmail.com> writes:
> On 6/9/06, Gauvain Pocentek <gauvainpocentek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Olly Betts a écrit :
> > > I'm working on getting Xapian packages into Debian.  They're
> > > actually not quite the same as Daniele's packages - the major
> > > difference is that Daniele uses cdbs.  I'm not necessarily averse
> > > to changing that, but I know debhelper reasonably well and I know
> > > nothing about cdbs, so changing right now would be disruptive and
> > > work against getting the packages into Debian.
> >
> > True. But if Xapian gets into debian, it'll be synced in ubuntu and
> > Daniele's changes ill overridden.

Sorry for not replying sooner.  I started to compose a reply before but my
machine crashed while I was in the middle of this and many other things and
I overlooked this while picking up the pieces.  I was just reminded by sending
a mail about debian packaging to the xapian list!

Anyway, back to the thread...

Even if the packages get synced from debian to ubuntu, Daniele's work won't
have disappeared - we can merge it at any point.

> > Do you know when Xapian could enter in debian (and get out of NEW)? If
> > it's early enough in Edgy's development, I think we should wait for it.
> > Daniele, what do you think?

I've now updated the packages for the recent debian python packaging policy
changes, which was about to become a blocker.  I've also fixed various other
issues which could potentially have caused a rejection from the NEW queue.

There's also been progress behind the scenes, and I'm hoping the packages
will get uploaded soon, but it since it relies on voluntary work by busy
people I can't give a date it'll definitely be done by.

> i think it's better to get them in ubuntu as soon as possible, then we
> can sync with debian ... maybe i could work on this with olly ... so
> he'll have even the possibility to see how cdbs works and its
> advantages.
>
> We could start having a bzr repo of the debian directories for each package.
>
> If He'll be not happy with it ... we'll use debhelper no problems.

I don't really have the time at to spare the moment I'm afraid.  I need to
press on with the work for Xapian 1.0.

I'll try to read up on cdbs a bit in idle moments while I wait for stuff
to build, etc.

Cheers,
    Olly