Edgy artworks

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 19:23:18 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/06, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 6/19/06, Vincent < imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd say it's best if we show we are based on the same. After all, the
> > > names end in *buntu for a reason - they're similar, so why shouldn't the
> > > artwork be?
> > >

> > Here, one of the ideas is to develop a personality for the distro. That
> > both ubuntu and xubuntu have the same underlying code base doesn't mean that
> > they should be lookalikes. Brothers and sisters have a similar genetic make
> > up, yet most of the time, they develop distinct personalities.
> >

> Sure, I didn't say artwork should be the same, however, rough bases can
> be. Though just a different colourscheme would suffice for me too.
> My brother and me have really different personalities, but we also have a
> lot of things in common.
>
> The other thing is functionality. Using different visuals for the desktop
> > can aid users accomplish their tasks more efficiently.
> >

> What do you mean exactly here?

 Oh, here I was thinking about the gtk themes. For instance, it is essential
that the visible structures (buttons, dialogs and so forth) have clear and
easily identifiable states. Otherwise users can get confused. For instance,
the various button states have to be clear and easily recognizable; the same
with the selected menu items; the text and the backgrounds are often similar
in tones making readability difficult. Did you know that about 10% of the
male population is color blind? Mostly for the warm colors. These people
have a hard time differentiate between warm yellowish tones and blue.
Maybe these things sound marginal but research shows that in fact, they are
very important elements that designers have to take into account all the
time.

J. Mak

Look and feel has marketing value as well. A well thought out interface