Edgy artworks

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 17:39:41 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/06, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd say it's best if we show we are based on the same. After all, the
> > names end in *buntu for a reason - they're similar, so why shouldn't the
> > artwork be?
> >

> Here, one of the ideas is to develop a personality for the distro. That
> both ubuntu and xubuntu have the same underlying code base doesn't mean that
> they should be lookalikes. Brothers and sisters have a similar genetic make
> up, yet most of the time, they develop distinct personalities.

Sure, I didn't say artwork should be the same, however, rough bases can be.
Though just a different colourscheme would suffice for me too.
My brother and me have really different personalities, but we also have a
lot of things in common.

The other thing is functionality. Using different visuals for the desktop
> can aid users accomplish their tasks more efficiently.

What do you mean exactly here?

Look and feel has marketing value as well. A well thought out interface
> helps the product stick out from the crowd. It can make it attractive among
> users. Think about the first imacs. It was those garish colors that made
> them hip among consumers creating that buying craze that, in fact, helped
> Apple escaping from bankruptcy.
>
> I hope this has clarified some of the reasons behind the idea. But there
> are many others as well.
>
> J. Mak
>

> On 6/19/06, j Mak <joz_mak at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Hi all,
> > > On the art mailing list there is a debate has been going on about the future directions
> > > of the various ubuntu flavors, in terms of look and feel. Some suggested that the flavors
> > > should be somehow lined up to have a kind of similarish look. Though, these ideas are still
> > >

> > > blurry but the kubuntu people have already declared that they will follow their own path,
> > > independent of the ubuntu direction.
> > >  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuArtworkParadigm/
> > > I've also argued that making the distros kind of similar would deprive them from developing
> > > their own identity that ultimately would result boredom. I agree very much with the kubuntu
> > > guys that the ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu have to develop independently, which doesn't mean
> > >

> > > that certain underlying ideas shouldn't be aligned. Distinctness would have beneficial effects
> > > by offering diversity and multiple looks for users.
> > > So far I got positive feedback; I wonder what you guys think.
> > >

> > > J. Mak
> > >

> > > http://jozmak.googlepages.com
> > >
> > >  <http://jozmak.googlepages.com/>
> > >

> > > --