IceWM/Ubuntu Lite (Was: initial edgy plans)

daniele favara danjele at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 10:41:32 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Colin McDermott <colmcd at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Just a few ideas on this subject.
>
> One thing that I have noticed with Ubuntu is that it is packaging
> desktops with applications.
> ie XFCE Desktop with Lightweight apps like Abiword, etc.
> KDE Desktop with Koffice
> Gnome Desktop with OpenOffice.
>
> I don't think that there is an actual reason for a Desktop to be put
> with Those applications. Some people may want to run Gnome with
> Lightweight apps and others wanting to run XFCE with Openoffice, perhaps
> even some wanting to run the KDE Desktop without any applications
> installed by default.. Is it an idea to separate the Application
> packages away from the Desktop packages. Perhaps then just having a
> Xubuntu package that would depend on xubuntu-applications
> +xubuntu-desktop and likewise for other Desktops?
> > I think it's better if the devteam focusing on polishing XFce for us
> > rather than split their resources on an additional wm.

umm .. then it'll not be xubuntu .. i can understand a meta package:

xfce4

... i do not see your point here

> I think that instead of splitting resources, people would be more likely
> to join the Xubuntu project to develop that WM along with the rest of
> the Xubuntu packages. I also don't think that ICEWM will require allot
> of maintenance as it is much simpler then XFCE. I believe that most of
> the work has already been done on interfaces and the like. Also with GDM
> you can just select which Window manager you want anyway, I don't know
> if people would need to make a choice at installation.

so .. what's the reason to not include xfce in  ubuntu ? instead of
having ubuntu and xubuntu ?

icewm : xubuntu = xfce : ubuntu

:)

ppl that may need icewm because of xfce needs unavailable resources
... could even install using a netinstall approach .. then an
icewm-meta could be a good idea.

my 0.2 cents

----
http://dsslive.org