automount

Illés János ijanos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 20:05:26 UTC 2006

Thunar detects evertyhing well with and without the
gnome-volume-manager, the removable things show up in the right pane,
but they are not mounted automatically if the gnome-volume-manager is
not running. This is true to the desktop as well after I hit F5.

What i want is a way to mount/umount removable media without starting
a plus application (in this case this is thunar) and now this works
from the desktop after pressing F5.
Thanks.

ps.: CD/DVD-s work the same way.

On 6/4/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/06, Illés János <ijanos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just installed xubuntu 6.06, and i don't understand why the automount
> > doesn't work like when i was in the live system. When I plugged my usb
> > pendrive in, it was mounted automatically and a desktop shortcut
>

> I think  the shortcut was created, but was only mounted when you double
> clicked on it.
> But looks like automount as it is transparent enough.
>
> > created, but in the installed system nothing happen. As a quick
> > workaround I installed the gnome-volume-manager, it works well, but it
> > does not create desktop icons. i'm curious, which program should be
> > responsible for automount and desktop icons, and why not worked in the
> > installed system.
> >

> xfdesktop should be responsible for this. There may still be some glitches
> in xfdesktop
> as removable device on desktop support is pretty new.
> What you can try is
> - see if an opened thunar window detects the stick and adds it to th
> sidepane.
> xfdesktop and thunar talk to the same HAL for this so they should behave
> similarly.
> -see if hitting F5 on the desktop makes a difference.
> -what about CDs are they detected?
>
> Jani

IJ