Music player, Evince vs. xpdf, and 16 bit wallpaper

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:02:58 UTC 2006

> > 1) I'd like to propose a music player (CDs, ogg, mp3) for Xubuntu. Can
> > I just add it to the XubuntuProposedPackages wiki page under Proposed,
> > or is there a more formal proposal method?

>Why not xfmedia ?

I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed that. Xfmedia seems good enough for me

> sure just add to the wiki after reading the big fat warning at the top :)
> I like xmms too for playing music but I think shiping it with mp3
> functionality
> as it is by default is a no-go on an official CD. The same reason
> ubuntu/kubuntu
> are pretty crippled too when it comes to playing popular media formats :(

Of course. It is nice to be able to easily enable mp3 support though.

> > 2) I noticed that Evince is the proposed PDF viewer. I realize that
> > Xpdf looks funny and old, but I find it more reliable at viewing PDFs
> > and have never had it crash on me. Evince doesn't refresh propperly
> > when scrolling and has crashed several times for me. Is this just me?
>
> I personally consider evince the best free software app to emerge in 2005 :)
> no more acroread! It is probably not as stable as xpdf but it is way nicer
> and constantly improving. I just recently got crashes with it but it's a gtk
>  bug
> not evince's fault.

I suppose those will get better over time. :-) Evince looks great, I
just haven't had as much luck with it.

> > 3) Some older graphics cards can't do 1024x800 at 24 bits but can at
> > 16, or have better DPI or FPS with 16 bits. The default wallpaper gets
> > funny streaks at 1024x800 with 16 bits
> > http://www.stuporglue.org/downloads/screenshots/xfce.png
> . It only
> > seems to happen to the wallpaper. I'm not sure how to solve this, but
> > maybe we could make the wallpaper optimized for 16 bits?
>
> sure. But don't look at me, unfortunately I cannot draw ;)

Does anyone know what the problem is? Are there too many colors in the
images, or some other problem? It may be something as simple as
resaving the current background with different settings.

Thank you!
--
Michael Moore