Idea

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:07:17 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Michael Moore <stuporglue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was thinking today about how some packages will be available, but
> not installed. For those packages which will not be installed due to
> disk space issues, what if there were still a menu item available for
> that program. When that icon is clicked, it would launch a
> program/script which would ask if the user wanted to install it.
>
> Possibly, there would also be a notice before they install saying why
> this program wasn't installed by default (disk space, not for novices,
> etc.).

This would add some extra items in the menu for people that do not need
those apps
and it is probably not too easy to do this. You'll need to overwrite that
menu item .desktop file
once installed and it may get too complicated.
The best approach is to list the significant non-installed apps in the
start-page and let people install
them normally.
Right now the only candidate I can think of there is gnumeric (since it
still has gnome deps)

Jani