Start xscreensaver at login?

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:35:16 UTC 2006

> Probably xscreensaver does not know about session management so it
> is not part of the session which xfce saves and later restarts?
> It is started by startxfce4 (it is called from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc) and
> I don't think anything special needs to be done to have it enabled,
> but maybe I don't understand what you're asking ;)

I didn't think anything special was needed either, but it's not
running when I log in.

I installed Breezy server, then did "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop"
and a couple other packages (gimp, xubuntu-artwork and some gstreamer
codecs). I thought it should be running when I logged in, but it
isn't.

"ps aux | grep xscreen" shows nothing except the grep process, and if
I run xscreensaver-demo, it says "The XScreenSAver daemon doens't seem
to be running on display "0.0". Launch it now?"

So, I'm just trying to make it run when I log in. :-)

Thanks!
--
Michael Moore