lightening xubuntu

Cody Somerville cody.somerville at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 16:58:29 UTC 2006

A few tips/ideas for improving performance:

   1. You might want to look for an alternative to Amarok as it is very
   heavy and requires kde libs.
   2. If you aren't going to be using the desktop (ie. icons on the
   desktop), you could disable xfdesktop.
   3. Try changing your theme to a more light-load theme (if applicable).
   4. If you have kde and gnome services enabled at boot time, it will
   add a lot of wait time.
   5. Get a faster computer?
   6. I found 6.06 (Dapper) a bit faster then 6.10 (Edgy) but I can't say
   for sure.
   7. Ensure the xfce4 compositor is disabled (most likely is if you
   didn't enable it)
   8. Remove any unnecessary  panels or panel
   plugins/launchers/objects/etc.

Hope that helps,

Cody A.W. Somerville

Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) -- A browser you can trust