lightening xubuntu

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sat Dec 16 13:21:14 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm converting my laptop to a stereo component.  It currently runs
xubuntu edgy and has amarok installed as well.  I really prefer xfce to
any ther lightweight wm/desktop solution -- I can hardly navigate ion3
or windowmaker -- but I would like to figure out ways to reduce load
time for xfce, which currently takes a while to wake up.  In its new
home the machine will really only run amarok, and maybe giFT/giFTcurs
and occasionally a webbrowser.  I do need the volume-manager, though, to
connect an ipod.  Any hints on what I might do to otherwise lighten my
load?  right now the wait times are acceptable for a computer, but
frustrating for a stereo.

Thanks,

matt

--