Deferred Edgy Ideas for Feisty

Cody Somerville cody.somerville at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:47:28 UTC 2006

> An aspiring MOTU who uses xubuntu should package that first :)

Alrighty, I've packaged it and it is currently in REVU awaiting approval.

> >       Browse Windows network (Thunar)
> >

> > We might not be able to get something integrated with Thunar for Feisty
> > but we could include a stand-alone samba network browser. I hear there
> > is a nice python based one.
> >

> Benedikt Meurer (thunar upstream) said in a ml thread that he'd like to
> get this done for next xubuntu release but as usual no promises.
> fusesmb means using the command line, what we want is something like
> nautilus' behaviour.
>
> If that does not happen in a few months we may need to promote something
> from universe like the xffm or the python tool mentioned.

We could also code some sort of plugin as a short-term solution.

> >     Menubar like in Gnome (Apps/Places/System) instead of simple menu
> >     (Applications)
> >

> > This, however, is something we could easily do and an idea that I like.
>
> Not easily but we could do. I contemplated this both for dapper and edgy
> and what kept me back is is not the UI part which may be simple enough,
> but the fact that the xfce menu is not fully compatible with the gnome
> one (XDG menu spec) and getting that layout may need some new
> (incompatible?) features added to how the menu stores its entries.
> There's a new XDG compliant menh module in the works upstream planned
> for Xfce 4.6 which could be starting point for a new menu plugin but
> it's not ready yet.

This is one of the most requested features. Maybe we could encourage
upstream to give this item some attention?

App selection is a constant process, but it is also the most
> disorganized as some apps proposed do not meet the criteria at all.
> This is not the case with claws of course, but except from being
> proposed by its upstream developer and its obvious speed when compared
> to tbird there were not many voices in support of it. I am particularly
> concerned about bug count and maintenance in ubuntu. T-bird is
> maintained by someone else so we get it for free :)

I hear that the Xubuntu ISO is very small. Maybe we should consider adding
some extras to the toolchain such as a few games, etc.?

On this matter Ubuntu Feisty is planning to get printerdrake (from
> mandriva, and with the help of Till Kamppeter) to replace the
> unmaintained gnome-cups-manager. I'll keep tracking
> system-config-printer from Fedora upstream but we may switch to
> printerdrake (gtk2 perl) if it is better and if Ubuntu switches too.

Yeah, I think they're switching.

Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) -- A browser you can trust