weather plugin crashes

Foxy foxy at
Thu Apr 27 10:46:28 BST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
> On 4/27/06, *j Mak* <joz_mak at <mailto:joz_mak at>> wrote:
>     Hi,
>     I've just updated xubuntu and the new weather plugin crashed when
>     I clicked on the Find Location code button. When I tried finding
>     the code with inputting the zip code the plugin did nothing. I
>     repeated this by inputting the names of other cities but the
>     plugin crushed each time.  Does anyone experience similar problems?
>     J. Mak
> Yes, we experienced similar problems. If this is not fixed by upstream
> or someone else very soon the weather plugin will probably not be on
> the CD. Right now we try to ship as many plugins as possible to get
> some testing but some are not
> well tested with the 4.4 panel yet.
> Jani
yes, weather plugin became notoriously crashy. However, I have a very
old installation of xfce4 from svn on my desktop on Breezy (I last
updated it maybe few moths ago) and the weather plugin is rock solid
there. Either something was changed in panel api or new versions of glib
in Dapper causes the crashes. This is the error I seemed to have from gdb:

> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x080a1590 ***
> ** (xfce4-panel:5349): CRITICAL **: An item was unexpectedly removed:
> "Weather Update".
anyway, the plugin seems abandoned :(