Gdm greeter

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at
Thu Apr 27 06:03:46 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at> wrote:
> On 4/27/06, j Mak <joz_mak at> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi Jani,
> >  Great news. Yesterday, I was experimenting and found a roundabout way
> > of drastically reducing image size. While keeping the original
> > dimensions, n ow we have a gdm login with only 154 KB. I already
> > uploaded it. Forget the previous email regarding the same subject.

hmm actually because it is 5:4 (1600x1200) it does not look like a circle

an easy way to try and compare is run
$gdmthemetester flexi xubuntu
$gdmthemetester flexi Human

The trick the human theme uses to have a very readable text and a perfect
circle is that it's a separate image superposed over the background. So it
does not itself get stretched depending on the screen res.

The theme file /usr/share/gdm/themes/Human/Human.xml shows how it's done.

So you could have  the nice gradient optimized separately and same for the
text. Together they may be larger than 154K though but still I think it can
be reasonably small.