Xubuntu way to add printer? (was Feedback & Suggestions)

Liz Young liz at kandew.com
Wed Apr 26 19:41:45 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 09:39, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Where is the gnome-cups-manager GUI, or a GTK-only equivalent?
>
> was in my plans but seems won't be there for  dapper :(  and there's
> no gtk only thing like that AFAIK. Upstream xfce does not have such
> tool.

Is there a "Xubuntu way" to add a printer?

Adding a printer from the CUPS web interface fails; the login prompts
for password to authenticate "CUPS" from the Administration/Add Printer
page.

Testing from a laptop with a clean install of Xubuntu 6.06 beta,
dist-upgraded through today.

I'm pretty sure I did this with a previous installation by enabling the
root login and/or adding cupsys to the shadow group.  Can't remember
exactly :-(

Apt shows installing gnome-cups-manager will add 32.3Mb of libraries and
stuff.

Thanks,
-Liz