Gdm greeter

j Mak joz_mak at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 26 16:55:03 UTC 2006

Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote: On 4/26/06, j Mak <joz_mak at yahoo.ca> wrote:                                  Hi  Jani,

    The gdm log-in size is now 923kb. It's only 30kb decrease to the previous one,  but this is the most it could be done with gimp's otimization tools.  It is uploaded to the xubuntulooksteel. But, we are still better off than ubuntu. The size of breezy's wallpaper is  1.9 mb, ours only 252kb. Ubuntu greeter is 520 kb and ours 923kb. So the combined size of the ubuntu wallpaper and the gdm greeter is 2.4 mb; ours only 1.2 mb.

I was thinking about the idea of having the same background for the gdm greeter as the wallpaper. Does is sound way off?
In either case, do you thkn current pieces of gdm theme are ok to go with this background? When I change the gdm theme
I'd prefer to do it in one upload, not the background first then the rest of the bits.

                                                                            I would NOT recommend using the background for both . I've never even heard this kind of solution ever. This would go against the purpose what we are aiming at here. Would destroy visual consistency. Because the idea is to create a unified and attractive look and feel for xubuntu. If the gdm size is still a problem, I would rather recommend reducing its dimensions to 1024x678. This would significantly reduce its size as well.
    I gonna do a smaller version of it and upload it to the usual place. If it's ok.
        J. Mak