Suggestion

j Mak joz_mak at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 23 16:36:47 BST 2006

Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/23/06, j Mak <joz_mak at yahoo.ca> wrote:                                  Hi  Jani,

    I am suggesting to incorporate the xubuntu logo into the xubuntu installer like the kubuntu people did. (By the way, fedora too implemented their own custom made artworks into the installer)

    Look at:

     https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuDapperBeta

    I think this would give a more professional and more unified look and feel to xubuntu. The ubuntu installer doesn't include the logo; I don't know they will add it later or will leave it like this. But I think we should take clues from the kubuntu artists because, in my view, they have better  ideas of creating a professional look and feel for a desktop than the ubuntu people.

As soon as the more important part of the artwork are settled I'll look into this. It may be that the gtk frontend does not have the logo code implemented in which case I am not sure I want to spend time on that. The qt frontend was witten specifically for kubuntu that's why they
could go that way. But I agree it looks nice.

 Regarding the result of the poll. Now that the art community has spoken,  take the theme that has received the most vote, as default and package the others as options. And start implementing the artworks into the next beta release so that it will be as sleek as the other siblings when it comes out.

Ok, for this I need for each entry a complete gdm theme description as is found for the current one in xubuntu-default-settings, with login dialog xml theme file etc.Same for the wallpapers I need the final size image.

thanks
Jani

                                        Jani,

    Both the wallpaper and the loging screen are 1600x1200.

    Update:

    Now that the artworks are decided, I made some modifications in the wallpaper and the login screen. The trend seems to be in both ubuntu and kubuntu that they dont use logo any longer in the wallpaper; only the plain artwork. So, I took out the logo from the wallpaper as well.
    I also lightened up a bit the gdm login screen and replaced the logo with the one using the new color scheme.
    I am also working on a logo that might go into the installer; soon, I will upload it for viewing.
    I've also touched up slightly the usplash.

    J. Mak