xubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 8, Issue 23

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 21:52:04 UTC 2006

> in that case i was mistaken to think xubuntu would be faster than
> ubuntu-since its really not...

Depends where your slowdown is at. XFCE uses less resources than Gnome
or KDE, but if you're still running Firefox and OO.o, those don't
change. The default apps that come with Xubuntu are somewhat lighter
than those that come with Gnome as well. For example, Xfmedia doesn't
use the gnome-libs, while Rhythmbox does (right?).

If Ubuntu is using slightly too much memory and having to swap, I
think you'll notice a bit of a speed boost by using Xubuntu.

But behind the scenes, it's got the same Ubuntu base install.

I started project last fall giving away used computers:
http://stuporglue.org/. I started installing Ubuntu, but it was too
slow. Xubuntu however handled well. The average computer I install on
is probably 350Mhz with 128Mb of RAM. At least on those systems,
Xubuntu makes the system usable, while Ubuntu drags too much.

--
Michael Moore