install path for desktop guide

Luzi Thoeny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 14:27:47 UTC 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>> done in revision 2839. heck, i sound like a dev when i say that :o)
>>
>> i changed some of the names, too. just tell me if you don't like it. the
>> browser-startpage is now built here:
>> build/xubuntu/browser-startpage/index.html
>>
>> and should end up as :
>> /usr/share/xubuntu-docs/browser-startpage/index.html
>> (instead of /usr/share/xubuntu-docs/about/xubuntu-index.html)
>>

> I moved the desktopguide under a separate subdir in the package because
> libs and common were on the same level with guide and browserpage.
> So what about usr/share/xubuntu-docs/{browser-startpage,desktopguide}?
> this is not a 1:1 mapping from the build dir though. So if the latter is
> easy enough without
> diverging too much from the k/ubuntu build system I'd prefer it, so a svn
> export goes directly to
> the package.

hm, i'm not sure if i undestand you correctly...
i changed the Makefile so that the result should now be:

ubuntu-doc/build/xubuntu/desktopguide
ubuntu-doc/build/xubuntu/browser-startpage

there's also these two dirs, which have stuff that may be used from both
the browser-startpage and desktopguide:
ubuntu-doc/build/xubuntu/common
ubuntu-doc/build/xubuntu/images

is this correct now, or do you want something else?

> I think we should simplify the start page as well like ubuntu to not include
> info which is better in the desktop guide.
> A simple intro in a half-page which is ready for translation.

done. i don't know about "translation-ready", though, i haven't had the
time to figure out how the process of translation is supposed to work.
> What do you think are still missing from the guide? There are things not
> covered  because they are not installed yet.
> evince/gnumeric/xubuntu-system-tools are among them. I think that in order
> to give more time to translators we could
> include these in the docs and not wait on them getting promoted to main and
> in xubuntu-desktop.
> Luzi, say if you need help with specific bits, there are surely people who
> would like to contribute :)

i need help on everything, really! i'm not sure i can get the docu to
'beta' stage by the 20th, but i will try to.
> thanks
> Jani

luzi