Ubuntu Lite

Colin McDermott colmcd at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 30 05:00:23 UTC 2005

Hi guys

Naturally Ubuntu Lite would cooperate and get involved. The aim of
Ubuntu Lite was to get a lite version of Ubuntu that could be used on
Legacy hardware. I for one will jump across and assist this project (and
don't worry we won't *ubuntu lite* it. Ubuntu lite was more an attempt
to get something out there and active. If you want you can take over the
domain www.ubuntulite.org go for it.)

If the only option is to work with a XFCE environment then Ill move
across. Though Vector linux have given their users the options of using
XFCE or ICEWM or FLUXBOX on startup (with a nice checkbox saying always
use this option). I think that this is preferable as from my tests Icewm
and Fluxbox use substantually less memory then xfce (I got a result of
20mb of ram for xfce while 6 mb for icewm and far less for fluxbox).
Having said that perhaps that is a longer term goal, and if the task is
to develop XFCE first and get it working then ill go for it.

If we need a blueprint to work off this came out of the Ubuntu confrence
in Sydney. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightweightDesktop

It does run with ICEWM but you can replace it with XFCE. On the whole
Rox-filer is the default file browser and icon manager (It is cool!)

Ok what needs doing?

www.ubuntulite.org

--
Colin McDermott