ivman again

David Cahill cahilld at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 11 12:59:57 UTC 2005

Hi Jani,

I had a look at getting ivman running some actions. First a disclaimer:
I'm not really a coder  :)

Anyway, here are a few points...

* I wasn't getting results modifying the config files in /etc/ivman/. I
had to use ~/.ivman/ I don't really know why.

* I was focusing on getting rox to come up for newly mounted volume.
First I tried modifying the current konqueror action in
~/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml, to something like this:

   <ivm:Match name="hal.info.category" value="volume">
           <ivm:Option name="exec" value="MOUNT=$hal.block.device$; rox
/media/${MOUNT#/*/}" />
   </ivm:Match>

I was having problems though with my usb stick - sometimes rox would
want to open /media/sda1 instead of /mount/usbstick.

* Then I tried the script at the bottom of this page:

http://ivman.sourceforge.net/wiki/Custom_Rules#Open_filebrowser_when_a_device_is_mounted

So the action was

  <ivm:Match name="ivm.mountable" value="true">
     <ivm:Option name="exec" value="rox `python ~/.ivman/mountwatch.py
$hal.block.device$`" />
  </ivm:Match>

where mountwatch.py is the python script given on that page.

This worked really well with both the usb stick and with a data cdrom.

* Here is a list of the current actions the the kubuntu people have
apparently put in:

open kscd for audiocds
kaffeine for videos
popup a message for scanners
popup a message for printers
cameras

IMO I don't think popup for scanners and printers are useful, but thats
just my opinion.
Cameras - Is that relevant if xubuntu doesn't have an app for it?
audiocd's and videos - doable, I suppose, but I haven't looked into it.
Open both with xfmedia?

Anyway, hope this is of some use to you.
Dave