Display Manager and possible bugs

Dott. Giovanni Bonenti gbonenti at missive.it
Fri Oct 7 10:10:58 UTC 2005

Jani Monoses disse:
> Thanks for all the observations, you should raise them in malone and
> assign
> them to user jani in lauchpad.
> If that's not possible just leave them and they will get reassigned with
> someone with more privileges.
>
> Regarding the display manager I am open to suggestions: how do others use
> xfce?I just startx from the console, but
> that's not acceptable for users. AFAIK xdm does not work in breezy right
> now.
> I saw the ubuntulite people tried various autolog methods but I am not
> sure
> which they chose after all.

Hi to everybody, that's my first post on this list.
I am an ubuntu user with a passion for old-hardware and linux.

I had already installed a "minimal" ubuntu with XFCE and Rox on a Pentum
II 300 Laptop with 256 megs of Ram and it worked just fine.
Yesterday I've installed the xubuntu-desktop metapackage on the same
computer.

I am very impressed for the work you've done, especially on the side of
sound support.

Speaking about the login interface I wanto to remember that ther is also
wdm that is lighter than both gdm and kdm.

I'd like to report a little bug: on the standard panel of xubuntu the link
to terminal is broken: it is configured to call xfterminal4, but the right
name of the terminal executable is xfce4-Terminal (that it's absolutely
amazing, since it offers almost all the functionalities of the
gnome-terminal with a weighth that's almost the half).

For image viewing I use GQview, that's fast, light and full-featured, and
fbi for the consoles (fbi can also be a pdf viewer for text consoles).

I suggest also grip for cd ripping

Best regards to all

Giovanni

--