Questions...

David Cahill cahilld at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 4 12:30:18 UTC 2005

>     * Are you planning for a volume manager? If so, ivman is worth a
>     look. I
>     have in the past used ivman with xfce4 and IIRC all was spiffy. I
>     think
>     it is mentioned in the ubuntu-lite doc as well.
>

> How does it compare to pmount? I haven't used either - I know pmount
> is used by ubuntu but it is not clear to me where it comes into play
> with all the hal/dbus/gnome-volume-manager stack . If there's a
> relatvely lightweight way of popping up a window when there's new
> media inserted it would be very nice. I think we can do that now by
> enabling gnome services on xfce startup but than that means gnome
> dependencies.
> It would be nice if someone could provide more info on this topic.

Check out the website at

http://ivman.sourceforge.net/

It seems pretty straightforward really. It uses pmount and hal/dbus.
Would probably require dev/configuration of some sort if you wanted to
start a filebrowser. As I say I used it before, maybe a year ago or so
on archlinux and it worked fine for usb sticks.