Matt Price matt.price at
Wed Nov 2 17:34:47 CST 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:35:00AM +1100, grumpy mole wrote:
> >Xfce doesn't quite match the Windows look-and-feel as well as KDE does,
> >but it certainly has a much lighter resource footprint. Mozilla Firefox
> >works just dandy under Xfce as does Mozilla Thunderbird.
> >tends to be more resource-intensive, so we're investigating Abiword
> >instead, but OO.o certainly remains an option.
> >
> >Perhaps others here on the devel mailing list can chime in.
> >

> I have Xubuntu running on an IBM Thinkpad 600E (p2 400 128 MB RAM) and
> it is very functional.  Previously, I tried Ubuntu Hoary and Breezy but
> they were sluggish.
> Firefox works very well and Abiword opens much faster than OO Writer
> does on a higher spec PC running Breezy.
> I am very happy with Xubuntu on this laptop.

I run xfce4.2 using debian/sid on the very same laptop.  works great!
I recompiled the kernel to add suspend2 support, it's miraculous.

re: toronto freenet -- are there several of us torontonians on this
list?  I am setting up a ubuntu/edubuntu computer lab in regent park &
would love to get in touch with other 'bunters here.

> Regards
> Warren

Matt Price	    matt.price at
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094

The following addresses are for you if you're an evil spambot:
zeus at aardvark at