--no-log option

James Hunt james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Fri May 16 08:12:41 UTC 2014

Hi Ben,

If you read init(8), you'll see that if you run init as a root user
(without specifying '--user'), init will re-exec itself and run *telinit*.
If you then read telinit(8) or run 'telinit --help' you'll see that it has
no '--no-log' option.

Further, you cannot run a second instance of init anyway. To do what you
want, you need to add '--no-log' to the kernel command-line set by your
bootloader and used by PID 1. An example of how you can do this temporarily
is shown in the Cookbook:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#add-verbose-or-debug-to-the-kernel-command-line

If you want to make such a change permanent and you are running Debian or
Ubuntu, modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and then run 'sudo
update-grub'.

>  Hey,
>
> I want upstart processes to stop logging to /var/log/upstart/
>
> But the no log option does not work, I’m on Ubuntu 12.04.
>

> What’s wrong?

Kind regards,

James.
--