upstart proposal on "kill signal/timeout" stanzas

Thomas Perschak tombert.group at live.at
Wed May 15 06:24:32 UTC 2013

> The "kill signal" is not sent 5 seconds later, but immediately after
> progressing past the stop/pre-stop state. This is the way upstart
> signals to the process that it should exit now. There would be no reason
> to delay that signal at all.

I am experiencing different because I received the TERM signal while still the pre-stop script was running:
---------------------------------------## upstart configkill timeout 120kill signal SIGCONTnice -10
## start WinXP VirtualBox jobexec /home/tombert/scripts/winxpvm-start.sh
## stop WinXP VirtualBox jobpre-stop exec /home/tombert/scripts/winxpvm-stop.sh---------------------------------------
My pre-stop script runs for <120 seconds but it received the SIGTERM after some (five) seconds - thats the reason why I had to change to SIGCONT.So in my world delaying the termination makes sense since a virtual XP does not shutdown so quickly ...
If you say different than I have to verify this behavior again?
> > I'd be more inclined to change 'kill signal' to this:
>
> stop signal SIGxxx
>
> And deprecate the usage of 'kill signal'. That would in fact be more
> clear.

Would also be better than the "kill" terminology.
thx!