upstart proposal on "kill signal/timeout" stanzas

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Tue May 14 15:02:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-14 07:49, Thomas Perschak wrote:
> I would like to propose two new stanzas:
> term signal
> term timeout
>
> Currently, in upstart 1.5, the SIGTERM is send after 5 seconds and
> the SIGKILL is send after the timeout specified with "kill timeout".
> That is very confusing.
>
> If one wants to avoid beeing terminated one has to use "kill signal
> SIGCONT" - but SIGKILL cannot be worked around.

The SIGKILL is absolutely necessary for system shut down. If your
program must never be killed with SIGKILL, then you probably don't want
a 'stop on' and need to have constructed your program in a way where it
will not prevent the system from shutting down cleanly.

However, perhaps you can provide a concrete example of a program which
should be given special privileges to delay a system shutdown
indefinitely?