[Merge] lp:~xnox/upstart/user-log-dir into lp:upstart

Dmitrijs Ledkovs launchpad at surgut.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 12:02:21 UTC 2013

Reading XDG specification, it sounds like instead of $XDG_CACHE_HOME/upstart/sessions, we instead should be using $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/upstart/ to store session init's pids.

"""
$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR defines the base directory relative to which user-specific non-essential runtime files and other file objects (such as sockets, named pipes, ...) should be stored. The directory MUST be owned by the user, and he MUST be the only one having read and write access to it. Its Unix access mode MUST be 0700.

The lifetime of the directory MUST be bound to the user being logged in. It MUST be created when the user first logs in and if the user fully logs out the directory MUST be removed. If the user logs in more than once he should get pointed to the same directory, and it is mandatory that the directory continues to exist from his first login to his last logout on the system, and not removed in between. Files in the directory MUST not survive reboot or a full logout/login cycle.
"""

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Currently I like how all our logs are stored in a flat directory and I'd rather not introduce subdirs.

Shall I update the spec with:
logs go to $XDG_CACHE_HOME/upstart
the address of the session goes to $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/upstart

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/upstart/user-log-dir/+merge/143091
Your team Upstart Reviewers is subscribed to branch lp:upstart.