[Merge] lp:~jamesodhunt/upstart/allow-multiple-cmdline-confdirs into lp:upstart

James Hunt james.hunt at canonical.com
Thu Apr 4 10:57:20 UTC 2013

That's a good question. Yes, this was designed as a minimal change to retain existing behaviour when running as PID 1.

Whilst I'd rather we don't encourage use of --confdir for PID 1, the fact that the option is already there and allows for a custom location today, maybe we should consider allowing this.

That said, allowing multiple conf dirs for PID 1 does increase the foot-shooting ability slightly should one or more of those locations not be available at startup time resulting in a broken boot. By specifying a single --confdir directory, it'll be immediately obvious if that directory is not available at startup (as the system will never boot). Whereas with multiple ---confdirs, it may be less so. Added to which, talk of overlays reminds me of the still-outstanding kernel bug 882147.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/upstart/allow-multiple-cmdline-confdirs/+merge/156512
Your team Upstart Reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~jamesodhunt/upstart/allow-multiple-cmdline-confdirs into lp:upstart.