support for stateful re-exec of upstart, now available for testing

James Hunt james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 4 18:19:42 UTC 2012

On 03/09/12 09:13, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to some great work by James, there is now a test branch of upstart
> available that supports passing its state when re-execing - rather important
> when re-execing an init that does process supervising!
>
> You can find the code here:
>
>   https://code.launchpad.net/~upstart-devel/upstart/stateful-reexec
>
> Once landed, this will enable important functionality such as applying
> security updates without rebooting, being able to run upstart in an
> initramfs and pass state to the rootfs, and so on.  In the meantime, feel
> free to try the branch out and provide feedback on any issues you find.
>
> You will need libjson-c 0.10 or later (available in Ubuntu quantal and
> Debian sid) to build this branch.  I believe James is planning to set up a
> launchpad recipe build for the branch as well, which I'm sure he will post
> once it's available.
I have now created a recipe, but it is generating a test failure. Whilst
I investigate, I've created an Ubuntu Quantal package (which passes all
tests) available in my upstart-testing PPA:

    https://launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/+archive/upstart-testing
    (Please read the warning at the top of this page!)

Latest version is: upstart '1.5-0ubuntu9~jh20120904c'.

The specification can be found here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/QuantalUpstartStatefulReexec

Please also read the limitations section (which should start to dwindle
over the coming days/weeks) carefully:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Spec/QuantalUpstartStatefulReexec#Phase_1_Limitations

To actually trigger a re-exec, run:

    sudo telinit u

Finally, if you discover any bugs, please report them here:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+filebug

Kind regards,

James.
--