Enhanced Upstart User Sessions for the Raring desktop

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 23 14:50:51 UTC 2012

On 23 November 2012 13:50, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Le 22/11/2012 14:02, Dmitrijs Ledkovs a écrit :
>
> Strangely enough, currently on my system I have:
> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/etc/xdg
>
> Why is it strange? We do add "xdg-<session>" to the list to allow specific
> entries for flavors which need those

Thanks for clarifying. -$session is indeed useful. I couldn't find it in
the specs & thought it's -$distro which gives no additional flexibility
over patching the desktop file at the packaging level.

> Hum, is that really a good idea? Those autostart desktop are already
> correctly handled by session managers, I don't see the point of spending
> time to write a bridge to replace working code, I would assume that adding
> upstart user session wouldn't change anything by default. Then we can
start
> replacing .desktop entries by upstart jobs where it makes sense...

We will have upstart-managed and non-upstart-managed sessions going
forward. (due to all our derivatives)
The non-upstart-managed sessions should continue to work as they do.
Upstart-managed sessions should continue to work with existing autostart
desktop files (all universe will not convert to .desktop) as well as
upstart jobs.
If a package wants to use upstart it will most likely ship both: autostart
desktop file & upstart job file. (for non-upstart and upstart managed
sessions).

That means we will have to distinguish the case where we have both
autostart desktop file & upstart job file in the upstart-managed session.
(e.g. gwibber shipping both).
This migration is very similar to how we currently support both upstart
jobs and sysvinit scripts, by letting upstart manage both: natively or
via-bridge.

The current autostart desktop specifiction gives highest priority to the
XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart (aka ~/.config/autostart), which means we don't
have the option to disable duplicate desktop files via /etc/xdg-upstart.

So in an upstart managed user session we will have to deal gracefully with
the case when a user modified and / or copied the desktop file into
~/.config/autostart _and_ we have an upstart job which is meant to replace
that functionality.

> The name is a bit verbose /etc/xdg/upstart or /etc/xdg/upstart-user should
> be fine there

+1 for either of these.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.